Hook: Partridge M2 #2/0
Thread: Semperfli 18/0
Tag: Silver, black silk
Tail: GP, red & yellow swan
Body: black, yellow, orange and red sealsfur
Throat: Red and black
Underwing: Black GP tippet
Wing: Kori, yellow, orange and red swan
Another winter solstice and the third sunturn fly I have made: each year I grab a bottle of Nøgne Ø “Sunturn Brew” and create a pattern based on the fact that we are on the darkest day of the year. I still have some bottles left of this beer that Nøgne Ø brew only on this shortest day of the year, and this year it had been stored for just over 2 years before the winter solstice.
The past years I have created a pattern that, looking back at it, reflect the state of my progression in fly tying: the first year it was a spey, last year it was a ranger. This year I have done a lot of married wings and getting into the classic salmon patterns, so it was obvious what I had to do this year! With the dark days and the focus on the sun turning to brighter days it was again the focus on black/yellow/red colors that dominated the pattern, maybe more yellow/orange/red this year than the years before. This one will go into my collection as the blueprint, but I’ll create some more for fishing.
The beer is everything I want in a winter beer: dark with sweet malts and a long full aftertaste. The balance and complexity is great, so it goes very well together with flytying on a dark winter night!
Tag: UNI 6/0 Red, Bug Bond
Rib: Lagartun French Tinsel
Wing: Yellow, Red & Blue hair
Hackle: Guinea Silver Doctor Blue
Preparing for the summer and filling up my box with this silver doctor inspired tube. Doing some without and some with cone to be able to target different depths:
The finished set ready for the river:
Have started to do up the body separately now to focus on one and one thing, that way I can do lots of tinsel work first, then pull out the hair and do the hairwing later.
Hook: TMC 111 #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Yellow
Tail: Micro Polychenille
Dubbing: Fly-Rite #9 Golden Yellow
Wing: Whiting Grizzly
Wingpost: Polypropylene Yarn
I have done a lot of spey and salmon patterns this winter, but tomorrow is March, and sprint is around the corner, so it is time to start filling up the dryfly box!
We have a river running through Oslo here that have had a bad time (basically all trout was killed of some years ago), and wasn’t supposed to open until next year, but this week we got the message that the river will be opened from 1.April this year instead, so I’ll start getting some dries up to start with some urban fly fishing this easter!
Hook: TMC7999 #1/0
Thread: UNI 6/0 Red
Tag: UNI-French Medium
Body: first half Lagartun Silk Floss, second half peacock herl
Rib: UNI-French Medium
Wing: Squirrel Tail
Hackle: Whiting Rooster Saddle Grizzly
The Rat series are classic salmon patterns that many variations and adaptations, this rusty rat I haven’t done before because I haven’t had the peacock sword, but with some in house I have to do a series of this as well. The whiting hackle is long and vibrant and will generate just the right movement in the water. A pattern that I should take down to some trout-size hooks as well, not just these big irons!
Hook: Kamasan B280 #8
Thread: UNI 6/0
Tag: UNI-French Oval Medium
Tail: Blue/Yellow Bucktail, Blue Flash
Body: UNI-Floss Black
Rib: UNI-French Oval Medium
Hackle: The Fly.Co Streamer Rooster Neck #1 Yellow, Keough Hen Saddle Blue
A blue version of the cascade salmon pattern that should work fine for seatrout around here as well. This version is very heavily dressed compared to earlier cascade I have done, but this was with purpose to have big movement in the water.