The plan this season is to fish more with spiders and wets/wingless wets – I want to explore more than just dries for trout. With a large batch of spiders and wingless wets ready I set out to tie up some larger spiders/wingless wets to fish for salmon as well.
These are tied on #4 & #8 salmon hooks and are tied to target salmon, but will of course be with me as a part of any trout-fishing trips as well!
Keeping it simple and fishing activly with these should (hopefull) produce some results this summer, now we just need to wait for the summer to arrive here up north!
Even with winter upon us here in Norway the season is getting closer, and every so often I get a order of classics to fish with. I enjoy tying these since I know they will swim in a river, chasing silver somewhere in Scandinavia!
When tying for fishing I make sure to enforce the fly to make it as fishable and durable as I can: a bit of superglue to get the but to sit correctly, reverse-hackle the bodyhackle, a few extra turns with well waxed thread to make sure the wing will sit where it is supposed to, and: substitutes for many of the materials.
The body veiling is Swan, Crow is Ken Sawada substitute and I use Kingfisher instead of chatterer.
For the 2019 season I’m tying up some smaller classics to go fishing with, first up is a Jock Scott on a Partridge M2 #1
To ensure it will hold up and fish without breaking up I have chosen to do a wool butt and reverse-hackled the black body hackle. The materials in the wing and body is also substituted and somewhat changed if you look at the original recipies: http://flypattern.org/search?s=jock%20scott
The wing is peacock, swan and turkey, the underwing is a brown and not white-tipped turkey, sides is just a single-strip of wood duck instead of a married section of wood duck and teal. All this is done to create a easy to tie pattern that has all the main parts of a Jock Scott in it, but at the same time doesn’t have a enormous amount of material in it.
One author that I hadn’t tied anything from was Traherne: the gaudy patterns, the massive amounts of (rare) feathers and colors everywhere made me stop shy of actually sitting down to tie anything. But: I needed something fresh to tie, something to tie up that I hadn’t done before, and when I stumbled upon a post in Chasing Silver Magazine I figured I was up for the challenge today.
Learning patterns and styles is important, so to get cracking on Traherne I got out a #5/0 iron and got out some substitute feathers to tie a fishing version of the Nepenthian. There are things to pick on, but it is a fly that I’ll use for fishing, so that is the focus when I tie these. Until 2019 though… I’ll get out the splitcane and put it on the end of a long floating line!