Hook: Partridge M2 #2/0
Thread: Semperfli 18/0
Tag: Silver, black silk
Tail: GP, red & yellow swan
Body: black, yellow, orange and red sealsfur
Throat: Red and black
Underwing: Black GP tippet
Wing: Kori, yellow, orange and red swan
Another winter solstice and the third sunturn fly I have made: each year I grab a bottle of Nøgne Ø “Sunturn Brew” and create a pattern based on the fact that we are on the darkest day of the year. I still have some bottles left of this beer that Nøgne Ø brew only on this shortest day of the year, and this year it had been stored for just over 2 years before the winter solstice.
The past years I have created a pattern that, looking back at it, reflect the state of my progression in fly tying: the first year it was a spey, last year it was a ranger. This year I have done a lot of married wings and getting into the classic salmon patterns, so it was obvious what I had to do this year! With the dark days and the focus on the sun turning to brighter days it was again the focus on black/yellow/red colors that dominated the pattern, maybe more yellow/orange/red this year than the years before. This one will go into my collection as the blueprint, but I’ll create some more for fishing.
The beer is everything I want in a winter beer: dark with sweet malts and a long full aftertaste. The balance and complexity is great, so it goes very well together with flytying on a dark winter night!
Tag: UNI 6/0 Red, Bug Bond
Rib: Lagartun French Tinsel
Wing: Yellow, Red & Blue hair
Hackle: Guinea Silver Doctor Blue
Preparing for the summer and filling up my box with this silver doctor inspired tube. Doing some without and some with cone to be able to target different depths:
The finished set ready for the river:
Have started to do up the body separately now to focus on one and one thing, that way I can do lots of tinsel work first, then pull out the hair and do the hairwing later.
Hook: Daiichi 2052 #1.5
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Body: Underbody UNI-Floss white, Lagartun Red Claret French Silk Floss
Rib: No-brand gold
Wing: Veniard Mallard Bronze Large
A freestyle spey where I wanted to have as few materials as possible, work on the body profile and try to not overload the fly with too much of the materials I used.
The lagartun silk floss with the gold rib really stands out on this one, the taper of the body is also one that I’m very happy with – it goes smoothly from start to finish. The one thing I could work on is the wing, I did it high over the body (and not really low-set) with purpose, and I’m quite happy with that, but the smoothness of the wing from some angles are not the best, so I’ll put another version up later.
Repetition is the key for many things in life, so also with fly tying! When getting into a pattern that I want to explore, or get some new material that I need to get familiar with I tend to sit down and tie up the same pattern in different sizes and on different hooks to see how it comes together.
This week I have focused on the rusty rat: I have tied it up in 10 different variations on singles, doubles and on tube. The pattern itself is a classic one that should need not much introduction (and there are other sites that can describe the background for this pattern much better than I can).
Of all the variations here there is one first for me: slipstream tubes. I have tied a lot of tubes the last year, but this week I got a good offer on some slipstream tubes from Veniard in different sizes, so when I got into the rusty rat I had to tie some up on that as well.
This a very good exercise that I can recommend for anyone: you get to know the pattern, and at the end of the session you know how the pattern is and behaves in different sizes and on different hooks.
Mustad S60-3399A #6
Alec Jackson Spey #1.5
Kamasan B280 #4
Kamasan B280 #8
Partridge Patriot #8
Veniard Slipstream Tube
Hook: TMC 777SP #6
Thread: Red/Black UNI 6/0
Rib: Lagartun French Tinsel
Wing: Red/Yellow hair
A hairwing version of the classic Mickey Finn streamer. Normally you would see this in bucktail, but I wanted to have a smoother wing that flowed even more than bucktail (and I have alot of templedog/fox/raccoon), so a hairwing version it is. I might go over and varnish the body to strengthen it, but I used a fairly thick and solid rib, so I don’t think I will need to do that.