Hook: Daiichi 2546 #4
Thread: UNI 6/0 White
Body: Just Add H20 – Steve Farrar’s Flash Blend – Natural, Herring Back & Midnight Blitz
Eye: Just Add H20
Hook: TMC 777SP #6
Thread: UNI 6/0 White
Body: Just Add H20 – Steve Farrar’s Flash Blend – Natural & Midnight Blitz
Eye: Generic 3D eye
Easter is around the corner and the seatrout season is all over us here in Norway, I haven’t been out fishing because of a bad neck, but in between I can test out some new material. I hadn’t heard anything about this before, but I stopped by the local flytying shop and picked up some colors to create some baitfish in something other than craft fur.
The material is very good to work with, it stays in place and when testing it out in the sink it seems like the material stays in place and doesn’t interfere much with the hook, but I’ll get to test that out soon. I created one larger baitfish and one where I tried to go as slim as possible (still working on less-is-more). The bigger one with blue back I also added some lead on two of them to see how they are to throw and how they will behave once I get to test them out in real conditions.
Once I get to see how the material behaves I might pick up some darker green and red to create a bigger set of baitfish, and I have a couple that are really big, this material stays in place and forms very nice: think big pike flies and big saltwater flies! But more about that later.
Hook: Allen SW001 #4
Thread: Benecchi White
Body: Hareline Select Craft Fur white/black/olive, flash, anglehair
Eyes: 6mm 3d, Bug Bond cover
My new saltwater box needed some baitfish and I found a box of Allen SW001 that is quite short and have a nice open bend that I like in this pattern. When tying these long hairy baitfish you can use a range of material: bucktail, fox, templedog or craft fur as I have done here. This is a really quick pattern to tie up, and most of it is actually spent curing the bugbond!
The primary colors I fish with is green and black, but I have some blue, yellow and red that I will give a go later on. The eyes are attached with superglue and then some layers with bugbond around to form the eye, they are still a bit tacky, so I want to try out some other UV resin soon to see how they behave.
As you can see in this picture I tie these really slim, but the movement this gets when you pull it quickly in have triggered the most of the seatrout I have landed, so I never go out without a couple of these in my box