Hook: Partridge M2 #2/0
Thread: Semperfli 18/0
Tag: Silver, black silk
Tail: GP, red & yellow swan
Body: black, yellow, orange and red sealsfur
Throat: Red and black
Underwing: Black GP tippet
Wing: Kori, yellow, orange and red swan
Another winter solstice and the third sunturn fly I have made: each year I grab a bottle of Nøgne Ø “Sunturn Brew” and create a pattern based on the fact that we are on the darkest day of the year. I still have some bottles left of this beer that Nøgne Ø brew only on this shortest day of the year, and this year it had been stored for just over 2 years before the winter solstice.
The past years I have created a pattern that, looking back at it, reflect the state of my progression in fly tying: the first year it was a spey, last year it was a ranger. This year I have done a lot of married wings and getting into the classic salmon patterns, so it was obvious what I had to do this year! With the dark days and the focus on the sun turning to brighter days it was again the focus on black/yellow/red colors that dominated the pattern, maybe more yellow/orange/red this year than the years before. This one will go into my collection as the blueprint, but I’ll create some more for fishing.
The beer is everything I want in a winter beer: dark with sweet malts and a long full aftertaste. The balance and complexity is great, so it goes very well together with flytying on a dark winter night!
Hook: Mustad 80500NPBL #5/0
Thread: Semperfli Nano Silk 12/0
Tag: Veevus French Tinsel Small, Lagartun French Silk Floss
Tail: GP, Hareline Ringneck Patch Indian Crow Red
Body: 1/3 Lagartun French Silk Floss, 2/3 Seals fur: black then red
Rib: UNI-Mylar #10, Veevus French Tinsel Medium
Body Hackle: Whiting Rooster Cape
Wing: JC, GP tippet dyed black (two pairs), JC, Ringneck Neck Patch Indian Crow Red
Finish: Loon Hard Head
A year ago I started a new tradition: to have a bottle of Nøgne Ø “Sunturnbrew” on winter solstice and tie a fly inspired by the beer and the fact that we now are going towards brighter days.
Last year it was a “Sunturn Spey“, this year, since I have tied up a few Durham Rangers lately, it had to be a pattern with the base elements of Durham Ranger, but with inspiration from the beer and the time of the year. This is a freestyle creation, I did get some black GP tippets before today (since I anticipated something around this general pattern), but everything else is a result of here and now.
I’ll be back with another one next year!
The “Spey Flies – How to Tie Them” by Bob Veverka has finally arrived in the mail! I got it yesterday after ordering directly from Bob on facebook. This is a re-print of the original and I got it signed.
I have only read the first chapter so far and glanced through some of the chapters and so far it looks very good, this will be one of those for a cold winter night to digg into the spey flies even more! I was inspired this morning to tie up some of the Sunturn Spey: