I fish with all the classics I make (of course: I put aside some specials that I want to keep), so thinking about fishing situations is important: where am I fishing, when and what could the water be like at that time. With the new season coming up soon and the fact that I’ll be fishing in a river that could be high on spring-flood, I needed some patterns to accomodate that situation.
The eagle patterns, here with standard marabou as substitute, is a pattern that should work well in murky, high waters. I have chosen a #3/0 spey hook (that measures a good #6/0 on the scale), but it could also be done on a tube instead.
Some experiments with different shades of marabou and testing out the amount to see how these behave in the water.
- Hook: Daiichi 2051 #1.5
- Body: Black sealsfur
- Rib: UNI-Mylar #10 Silver, Yellow & Orange floss
- Hackle: Rooster
- Wing: Mallard
From Knox: “Autumns on the Spey” page 69
- Hook: Daiichi 2271 #1 – http://flyhooks.org/daiichi/2271
- Tag: UNI-French Twist Medium
- Tail: Topping & Tippet
- Butt: Black ostrich herl
- Body: Green & Blue seals fur
- Ribs: UNI-Mylar #10, Veevus French tinsel medium – counter-wrapped over hackle
- Hackle: Black heron from middle of blue
- Throat: Widgeon
- Wings: Turkey
- Cheeks: JC, drooping
Tying up a part of my salmon box with Dee patterns these days, today: Balmoral
Hook: Blue Heron Spey #1 http://flyhooks.org/blue-heron/spey
Body: Orange Seals Fur
Rib: UNI Mylar #10, Veevus French tinsel (counter-rib)
A slight variation of The Carron: with sealsfur in the body.
- Hook: Partridge Bartleet Blind-Eye #3/0
- Thread: Semperfli 12/0 White
- Eye: Keino Gut
- Tail: Red Golden Pheasant Body Feather
- Rib: UNI-Mylar #10 Gold, UNI-French Twisted Silver Medium
- Body: Berlin Wool 1/3 Dark Olive + 2/3 Dark Brown
- Body Hackle: Heron
- Throat: Red Golden Pheasant Body Feather
- Wings: Bronze Mallard – 2 layers
- Finish: Loon Hard Head Black
My first blind-eye tied for fishing: a Lady Caroline on a large Partridge #3/0 hook, I have never fished this before either, so this will be something to test out once the rivers open again. The gut is artificial gut from Helsinki Spey Clave.