Hook: Mustad S60-3399A #6
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tag: UNI-Mylar #16
Tail: Foxtail Hen Neck
Rib: UNI-Mylar #16
Hackle: Whiting Rooster Cape Black
I was looking at the Black Prince wetfly pattern, but didn’t have black wing material but I liked the pattern and combination, so: I could call this a no-wing Black Prince! It turned out better than I thought and will work great for trout and grayling. This just shows that you really don’t need everything in a pattern to get started on it, you can omit something, add something, and still end up with something that will really catch fish!
Hook: Partridge Carrie Stevens Streamer #2/0 10xl
Thread: Sheer 14/0
Tail: Golden Pheasant
Butt: Black Ostrich
Body: 3 layers of UNI-Floss White, Red/Black UNI-Floss
Rib: UNI-French, UNI Red/Black Floss
Wing: Whiting Cape – Black, Foxtail Cock Neck – Red
Shoulder: Harline Strung Guinea Natural, Jungle Cock feather, Veniard Red Crow Substitute, Jungle Cock
I really enjoy pushing the boundaries when it comes to tying flies, and this one is one of the bigger ones that I’ve tied! The 10xl Carrie Stevens streamer hook is massive to tie on and can give some challenges when it comes to planning the layout and finding the material that will stretch all the way to the end. The plan from the start was to mount these in a frame and put them on the wall, I didn’t have a pattern to go from, but was rather inspired from various images on google and some Carrie Stevens patterns to draw some knowledge from, besides that these two are a creation from my own mind, so what should I call them?
I wanted to create something that popped out and had clean lines to look at, that’s where the two main feathers came from, the original plan was to have a read feather as the first feather on the second one but I didn’t have large enough to stretch to the end of the hook so I ended up with just changing the colors on the body for the second one. I like the lines it has and mounted together in a frame these two will be a good match to each other
I do see some issues with the execution: the body floss is not as smooth as I would like, the guinea should have been pulled a little bit further towards the hook and the lines from the JC to the black feather is not in line. But this will be a exercise for the winter to get better on, I just need to get some more of these hooks since I’m almost out.
Hook: TMC777SP #6
Thread: UNI 6/0 Black
Tail: Rabbit Strip, Foxtail
Body: A.Jensen Saltwater dub ll White, Rabbit strip in dubbing loop
Eyes: Gold bead chain, large
A pattern that follows the spaykutling but in all-black colors. This comes from the rabbit skin I bought earlier and that I have cut strips from. The hair is really long and makes for some meaty flies that will create a lot of good movement in the water.
My seatrout box is slowly filling up:
Tail: Foxtail Suburst yellow, Templedog hot orange
Body: UNI Floss, Lagartun french tinsel
Hackle: Spirit River Schlappen Black
This was a freestyle with what I had on my table, but I really like how it came out: the fire in the tail will be a very good attractor for the salmon/seatrout and it will have good movements once it gets in the water. Will create some more of this color combination, and maybe with blue/lime tail as well.
Hook: Dai-Riki 899 #1/0
Thread: UNI 6/0 Black
Body:UNI Floss Black, UNI-French
Wing: Sunburst Yellow Foxtail, Orange Foxtail, Red Arctic Fox 3xl, peacock
Hackle: Black hackle
Head: JC, Black Ostrich Herl
Of the ones I have tied on this #1/0 hook I think this is the one I’m the most pleased with: the propotions are better, the overwing sits better in its place and the JC is a very good visual indicator. I need a better hackle to tie in on this and the tube flies that I’m starting to tie so I’m heading out tomorrow to do some pre-christmas present-shopping for myself ;)