Hook: Ahrex NS110 Streamer #4
Tail: Yellow marabou
Overwing: Yellow mallard flank
Head and collar: Yellow deer
I’ve always fished dry after trout, done some nymphing, but streamers have never been a big part of my boxes. There have always been some zonkers available, but they have mainly been used when fishing after searun browns on the coast, so this year I’m tying up some streamers to bring with me, and I’m going to do some more active streamer fishing after trout when heading into the river.
The zoo cougar is a good pattern to start with: the collar and the deer head will push a lot of water and make it swim high in the water (unless fishing with sinking line) and be a versatile pattern to fish with. I have not done any weighted versions yet, but that will added later.
The pattern can be done in different colours to adjust to your waters, a olive version:
A white version:
And while tying it I had to do a articulated version to get my large streamer box going. I know: it is not big by all accounts, just big for what I’ve been tying so far! The version is tied with A.Jensen Danish Seatrout hooks in #2 at front and #4 in rear
As normally when I start investigating a pattern: a set of zoo cougars
Got a shipment of different size (#2-#8) Partridge Bomber hooks the other day and starting with the largest hook I’ll start tying up a box of these in different colors. The smaller ones will work well for trout as well, not only salmon, so this will be something to test out just as the sun is setting and the trout goes hunting after mice.
Hook: Mustad S60-3399A #6
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tail: Golden Pheasant Tail Tippet
Body: UNI Dark Red
Wing: Bronze Mallard (not grey as in the original pattern)
Pattern: Ray Bergman “Trout” Plate 1
I got some Mustad S60-3399A (the new edition of 3399) this weekend and I started looking through “Trout” to see which patterns I have material for. The Abbey is the first one, and I have the material for it (except I have bronze mallard compared to the grey mallard that the pattern say), so I got around to making this version based on the original description. There are some issues with the floss, and the head is not very pretty (it bleads over into the wing a bit, this I need to practice more). But: all in all a ok effort for this one, will add a couple of more versions of this for practice before I move on.
Hook: Kamasan B170 #8
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tip: UNI-Mylar Gold/Silver #16
Tail: Goose Shoulder Yellow/Black
Body: UNI-Floss Red
Rib: UNI-Mylar Gold/Silver #16
Wing: Goose Shoulder Yellow/Black
Throat: Whiting Hackle
Another Bergman this morning: I will try to choose some of the patterns where I have material, and this yellow/black one stood out when looking through the collection. The goose shoulders I have is not the best quality, but good enough for creating these small wings. Some minor things that could do with improvement: there is a gap between the tip and the red body and the head is not varnished good enough, but I’ll leave that for the next time.