Hook: TMC 2488 #16
Thread: Semperfli Nano silk 12/0
Tail: Swiss CDC Dark Dun
Body: Beaver underfur dubbing
Wing post: CDC White
Hackle: Whiting Hebert Bronze Saddle
I saw the usage of a CDC puff as tail somewhere, don’t know where, but I have had some puffs that I’ve wanted to put to use for a while. The TMC hook got that good curve and will sit nicely in the surface, even though it is too long until season starts again around here to test that out anytime soon….
Hook: TMC7999 #1/0
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tag: Veevus French Tinsel
Tail: GP topping
Body: Yellow & Orange Seals fur dubbing
Rib: UNI-Mylar #10 Silver, Gold Tinsel
Wing: Polar bear underfur, GP Topping
Throat: Polar Bear underfur, GP Topping
Head: Loon Hard Head Black
I was watching the new Netflix series “Chef’s Table” this morning and started thinking about patterns, combinations and how things work if you put them together in a new way. I’m prone to challenge myself on new patterns and new material to see how they come together on the hook, I knew I had some polar bear that I hadn’t tied anything with before, so I sat down with pen and paper (a first time that as well) and thought about what could go together with the colors I had. Earlier I have done some sunburst spey and the polar bear was perfect for doing something like that.
The polar bear have some very nice qualities when it comes to translucence and shine, so I needed something to match that: seals fur and GP toppings was perfect when it came to color and properties.
The plan was to create something that had few components and had as little material as possible. The polar bear doesn’t need much, but I chose to use the underfur for the wing to build it up instead of the longer fibers of the fur. I’ll iterate a bit on this and have less material the next time, but the base pattern here is something I think will work very good once I get it in the water.
Hook: TMC811S #4
Thread: UNI 6/0 Black
Tail: Rabbit Zonker
Body: A.Jensen Saltwater Dub ll White
Earlier this winter I got a Roe skin, and before that some Rabbit skins, and since it is seatrout season start around these parts of the world I thought I would tie up some muddler/zonker variants to bring with me.
This is the first time I’ve tied up anything muddler-like for seatrout, but if you have the basics of spinning hair this is not very hard to do. I chose the TMC811S since with its short shank and very durable design (I really like this hook!), I also tied in some rubber legs on some variants to see how they will behave and look in the water.
Some shorter rubber legs:
They are not small, but neither are they super-big, so my #6 will have no problem swinging these over easter.
I had to go down to the city and get some smaller versions of this hook and tie up some on the 811S #8. This have some added lead to bring it down.
Hook: Daiichi 2546 #4
Thread: UNI 6/0 White
Body: Just Add H20 – Steve Farrar’s Flash Blend – Natural, Herring Back & Midnight Blitz
Eye: Just Add H20
Hook: TMC 777SP #6
Thread: UNI 6/0 White
Body: Just Add H20 – Steve Farrar’s Flash Blend – Natural & Midnight Blitz
Eye: Generic 3D eye
Easter is around the corner and the seatrout season is all over us here in Norway, I haven’t been out fishing because of a bad neck, but in between I can test out some new material. I hadn’t heard anything about this before, but I stopped by the local flytying shop and picked up some colors to create some baitfish in something other than craft fur.
The material is very good to work with, it stays in place and when testing it out in the sink it seems like the material stays in place and doesn’t interfere much with the hook, but I’ll get to test that out soon. I created one larger baitfish and one where I tried to go as slim as possible (still working on less-is-more). The bigger one with blue back I also added some lead on two of them to see how they are to throw and how they will behave once I get to test them out in real conditions.
Once I get to see how the material behaves I might pick up some darker green and red to create a bigger set of baitfish, and I have a couple that are really big, this material stays in place and forms very nice: think big pike flies and big saltwater flies! But more about that later.
Hook: TMC 111 #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Yellow
Tail: Micro Polychenille
Dubbing: Fly-Rite #9 Golden Yellow
Wing: Whiting Grizzly
Wingpost: Polypropylene Yarn
I have done a lot of spey and salmon patterns this winter, but tomorrow is March, and sprint is around the corner, so it is time to start filling up the dryfly box!
We have a river running through Oslo here that have had a bad time (basically all trout was killed of some years ago), and wasn’t supposed to open until next year, but this week we got the message that the river will be opened from 1.April this year instead, so I’ll start getting some dries up to start with some urban fly fishing this easter!