I have been tying up some Dee patterns for fishing lately, but every now and then you need to challenge yourself! Pulled out the longest hook I have – the Partridge CS15 – a #2/0 10xl hook that is made for classic streamer style patterns, but why not a Akroyd?
This pattern really stretched my material selection, especially the white turkey wing, but I managed to set a ok wing in the end.
The dropping JC could have been longer, but in the end I was happy with the result.
Putting this on a salmon scale shows the length of this massive fly.
- Hook: Daiichi 2271 #1 – http://flyhooks.org/daiichi/2271
- Tag: UNI-French Twist Medium
- Tail: Topping & Tippet
- Butt: Black ostrich herl
- Body: Green & Blue seals fur
- Ribs: UNI-Mylar #10, Veevus French tinsel medium – counter-wrapped over hackle
- Hackle: Black heron from middle of blue
- Throat: Widgeon
- Wings: Turkey
- Cheeks: JC, drooping
Tying up a part of my salmon box with Dee patterns these days, today: Balmoral
Hook: Blue Heron Spey #1 http://flyhooks.org/blue-heron/spey
Body: Orange Seals Fur
Rib: UNI Mylar #10, Veevus French tinsel (counter-rib)
A slight variation of The Carron: with sealsfur in the body.