Earlier known as dryfly.me
Home » 2014 » October

Mickey’s Ghost Variant

2014.10.30.dryfly.me.mickey_ghost_red

Hook: Partridge Carrie Stevens Streamer #2/0 10xl
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tag: UNI-Mylar
Body: UNI-Floss White underbody, UNI-Floss red
Rib: UNI-Mylar
Belly: Red bucktail, yellow bucktail
Throat: Red Schlappen
Underwing: Peacock Herl, Golden Pheasant Crest
Wing: The Fly Co Yellow Rooster Neck, Foxtail Red Hen Neck
Shoulder: Silver Pheasant
Cheek: Jungle Cock

A variant of yesterdays Mickey’s Ghost, but this time with red body. A little bit cleaner this time, and the silver pheasant sits better. A fun pattern to experiment with!

2014.10.30.dryfly.me.mickey_ghost_red_body

The two ghosts together:

2014.10.30.dryfly.me.mickey_ghost_together

Mickey’s Ghost

2014.10.29.dryfly.me.mickey_ghost

Hook: Partridge Carrie Stevens Streamer #2/0 10xl
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tag: UNI-Mylar
Body: UNI-Floss White underbody, UNI-Floss yellow
Rib: UNI-Mylar
Belly: Red bucktail, yellow bucktail
Throat: Red Schlappen
Underwing: Peacock Herl, Golden Pheasant Crest
Wing: The Fly Co Yellow Rooster Neck, Foxtail Red Hen Neck
Shoulder: Silver Pheasant
Cheek: Jungle Cock

A big streamer again: I have been doing some variations of Mickey Finn lately based on a article from globalflyfisher.com and today it was time for this big Mickey Finn variation of the Grey Ghost: Mickey’s Ghost. I’m missing a good JC since the one I have only have nails that are ok in small size, that said: the new Silver Pheasant skin I got today outweighs that for the time beeing! I’ll come back to that skin in a separate post.

A closeup of the body: the GP crest is on top of the underwing and falls off to the sides of the body, a really nice example on how to use material in a different way; I’m going to explore Carrie Stevens patterns this winter, that’s for sure

2014.10.29.dryfly.me.mickey_ghost_closeup

The different variations I’ve made the last week:

2014.10.29.dryfly.me.mickey_ghost_all

More Black & Red

2014.10.28.dryfly.me.red_black

A follow-up from this mornings post on wetfly for trout: the combination red/black/silver is a combination that don’t go to wrong when it comes to trout. These are rather large (#6 Mustad S60-3399A) and can be used for both seatrout and grayling as well!

Trying to keep the front as sparse as possible: two turns is enough of the red hackle

2014.10.28.dryfly.me.red_black_front

A body-hackle with reverse-rib over the hackle to keep it in place.

2014.10.28.dryfly.me.red_black_body_hackle

The 3 variations on red/black:

2014.10.28.dryfly.me.red_black_all

Black & Red for trout

2014.10.28.dryfly.me.spider

Hook: Mustad S60-3399A #6
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Tag: UNI-Mylar #16
Tail: Foxtail Hen Neck
Body: UNI-Floss
Rib: UNI-Mylar #16
Hackle: Whiting Rooster Cape Black

I was looking at the Black Prince wetfly pattern, but didn’t have black wing material but I liked the pattern and combination, so: I could call this a no-wing Black Prince! It turned out better than I thought and will work great for trout and grayling. This just shows that you really don’t need everything in a pattern to get started on it, you can omit something, add something, and still end up with something that will really catch fish!

Spey Style #3/0

2014.10.26.dryfly.me.spey

Hook: Partridge Bartleet Blind-Eye #3/0
Gut: Feathers MC Twisted Silk Gut Medium
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Black
Body: UNI-Floss White underbody, UNI-Floss Black
Rib: UNI-Mylar Silver #10, UNI-French Gold Oval Small, Lagartun Varnished French Tinsel Oval X-Strong Fine, UNI-Mylar #16 reverse to support hackle
Hackle: Spirit River Spey Hackle
Wing: Veniard Mallard Duck Bronze Large
Throat: Strung Guinea Natural

The Spey and Dee style flies have a look that attract me when it comes to style and execution, this one is a freestyle over a general spey based on the materials I have available. It turned out to be a exercise in rib and layering of the body that I haven’t done before.

I had to stretch the mallard duck to find something that would fit a hook this size, it didn’t come together perfectly: there are some strands that didn’t sit together perfectly, but I got the overall flow of the wing this time.

2014.10.26.dryfly.me.spey_top

The ribbing: 3 strands going over the body and one reverse over the hackle to keep it in place. Really pleased with how this came out in the end.

2014.10.26.dryfly.me.spey_rib

The front-view of this spey fly:

2014.10.26.dryfly.me.spey_front